The State Board for Community Colleges establishes tuition rates for all credit courses; however, tuition rates are subject to change pending General Assembly action. Rates are dependent upon the student’s status (ex: in-state, out-of-state, military, etc.). Status is determined by the Admissions and Records Office. Tuition is calculated by multiplying the current eligible rate by the number of credit hours registered. Tuition rates are generally available by July 1st.
General and Technology Fees
The College charges all students a Technology fee and an Activity fee based upon the credit hour load of the student. In addition to the Technology and Activity fees, out-of-state students also pay a Capital fee which is also based upon their credit hour load. Fees are intended to cover costs associated with on-campus parking, lighting, parking lot maintenance, various student activities, and student publications. All fees must be approved by the State Board for Community Colleges.
At this time, CVCC does not send out billing statements. Account balances are available online anytime by using the myCVCC website or by contacting the Accounting Office at 434-832-7639. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their account is paid in full. Students will not be permitted to register for classes if there is a balance from a previous semester on the student’s account.
Students are expected to pay tuition in full prior to the beginning of classes unless other arrangements are made. Students are also expected to pay for any damaged or lost college property (such as laboratory or shop equipment, supplies, library books, and materials). Students enrolling at two or more community colleges simultaneously will need to pay tuition at each college separately; if paying online, please verify you are paying charges at the college for which you are intending to pay.
Tuition/fee payments can be made by the following methods:
- At the Accounting Office located in the Amherst Hall, Room 2208 Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. The office is open later during various times of the year which are announced on the CVCC website. Payments made in the office will be applied to your account immediately. We currently accept: cash, check, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- By U.S. mail (check or money order only) to: CVCC Accounting Office, 3506 Wards Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24502. Please include your student ID number with your check as well as an address to send your receipt. Payments sent in this manner could take several days to post depending upon the swiftness of the mail service.
- By telephone by calling 434-832-7639. Only Visa, MasterCard, or Discover can be used for telephone payments. If you are unable to reach a person when you call this number, leave a message stating that you wish to make a payment and include a phone number (do NOT include payment information in the message). Someone will return your call by the end of the business day, and your payment will be applied immediately to your account.
- By After Hours Drop Box located outside of the Accounting Office (check or money orders only). Please include student ID number and return address. Payments made this way will be posted to your student account the next business day.
- Online through Quick Pay accessed through the myCVCC web portal. When you log into your myCVCC account, it is found under “Finances”. Through this site you can make a payment to your account by e-check or by credit card. There is a fee of 2.5% for payments made by credit card. Note: Turn off your pop-up blockers when visiting this site. Payments made through Quick Pay generally post the next business day.
- By applying for a payment plan managed by a 3rd party vendor. This is also accessed through the myCVCC web portal under “Finances”. A deposit is required upon set-up, and there is a fee charged by a 3rd party vendor for this service. Payment plans can only be established prior to the first day of the class for the main semester. Payment plans are not available once the regular semester classes begin. Note: Pop-up blockers will need to be turned off on the computer when visiting this site. Payments made through the payment plan take longer to show on your student account; however, you will not be dropped from your classes nor have services withheld.
Failure to pay tuition or to make satisfactory payment arrangements by the tuition due date will result in the student being dropped from courses with unpaid balances that exceed any posted tuition payment(s). If classes are dropped for nonpayment, the student will need to re-enroll in available courses and submit payment at the time of registration.
Refunds are processed after the drop/add period is complete. Students are eligible for refunds if they drop courses prior to the “drop with refund” period as noted in the Academic Calendar, or by having an excess of certain types of Financial Aid. Refunds can take 2-4 weeks to be processed. Refunds are paid by a 3rd party vendor, and the student may choose one of three payment methods:
- Reloadable prepaid Visa card (funds available upon receipt of card),
- Direct Deposit to checking/savings account (funds available 2-3 business days after processing), or
- Paper check (delivered by U.S. mail 7-10 business days after processing)
Students must make their refund method choice prior to refund processing by registering at https://cvcc.afford.com If no refund method has been selected prior to the processing date, a paper check will be mailed to the student at the address on file with the Admissions and Records Office. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the mailing address is correct with the Admissions and Records Office.
Year End Tax Forms
A 1098-T form is a summary of tuition paid during a calendar year, and will be sent to all eligible students from the Virginia Community College Systems Office by January 31st of the following year. This form can be used for tax filing purposes. To qualify for a 1098-T, a student must have been registered for credit courses during the reporting calendar year AND have paid tuition out-of-pocket during that time. Tuition paid by Financial Aid is not included on a 1098-T, nor are payments made for past due tuition from prior years. Forms will be mailed to the student’s address on file with the Admissions and Records Office. Forms can also be obtained online after January 31st by registering for access at www.tra.vangent.com. Current and any previous year forms can be viewed and printed from this website.
Books and Materials
Students are expected to obtain their own books, supplies, and consumable materials as needed in their studies. CVCC has partnered with Follett to provide an option to obtain needed items; however, students may purchase their items from any source they choose. Students with financial aid that exceeds their tuition balance may charge books at the college bookstore to their excess financial aid.